Writing articles, essays and speeches (long compositions)
(based on a visual and / or verbal input)
(descriptive or argumentative)
With a view to express their own views, opinions or arguments people take to write articles or speeches. These are issues that concern people in general. People in such cases want to raise issues to motive others to think and support the views expresses through their articles and speeches.
People would like to express their reactions whether positive or negative on the issues which concern people in general. Some of the issues could be as under.
- Need for vocational education
- Mass cheating in the examinations
- Coaching centres, help or nuisance
- Pressure of competitions and studies on the students
- Increasing indiscipline among students
- Increasing environmental pollution
- Women awakening
- Need for preservation of historical monuments
- Preservation of wildlife and conservation of forests
- Need for communal harmony and national integration
- Cruelty against animals
- Effect of TV on general people
- Changing life style of Indians
- Effect of advertisements and sign boards
- Is there need to censor advertisements?
- Increasing health consciousness/health clubs
- Increasing tendency of committing suicide
- Exam terror
- Increasing generation gap
- Need to attract more tourists
- Need to create awareness to abolish child labour
Process of writing an article
- Collect relevant matter (content)
- Organize it in a proper sequence
- Introduction: State what the situation is
- Analyse: Why the situation has risen (reason)
- Suggestion/action required to meet the situation
Situation could be based on the visual or verbal input provided .
Essentials of an effective article
- Raise the issue to highlight the gravity
- Support the issue with instances or newspaper items or some letters to the editors or TV news or TV serial or speech printed or heard on TV
- Language: Accurate, impressive, analytical and persuasive while making suggestions.
- Fluency: Organization of matter in proper sequence.
- Coherence: Not a patch work but linked with the sentence linkers or connectors.
- Natural flow of ideas.
- The entire relevant matter should be properly organized, laid out and presented in appropriate manner.
This post is a part of an ongoing series about various topics in English. To follow along the series, make sure you subscribe to our RSS feed. You can fill the form below to subscribe.